Sunday, 1 February 2015

Evaluation

My final outcome is a futuristic bralette, suspender belt and collar set. I based my outcome on a more sci-fi sort of theme, and it has a simplistic, modern colour palette of sliver and white. I wanted to stick to this colour palette as I felt that this would give off a more futuristic feel than if I were to incorporate some brighter colours.  I took my inspiration for this from modern architecture, particularly shiny metal buildings with interesting shapes and architectural details. For my outcome, I used a number  of techniques, and stuck to these throughout, adding them into each part of my outcome. I used a technique where I would slash into foiled PVC and twist the cut strips over and stitch them down, to get a laddered, twisted effect. I used this on all three parts of my outcome, the bralette, suspender belt and the collar. I also used a simple straight stitch technique, trapping white organza between two pieces of PVC and stitching white stripes into it vertically, I also incorporated this into every part of my outcome. On the side panels of both my bralette and suspender belt, I pin pleated organza and foiled it for a glittering quality, to tie it into the foiled PVC parts of my outcome. I used free machine embroidery and ruffled organza on the bralette cups, I stitched into PVC and silver lame in a triangular pattern inspired by an image I found of a modern building with triangular windows. I pleated and foiled PVC for some parts of my outcome, including my suspender belt straps and my collar.

For my outcome I used only PVC, silver lame, and white organza. I used these fabrics for their contrasting qualities and textures. For example, PVC is a very sturdy material, and added structure to my outcome, whereas organza is a very light, delicate fabric. This added a softer part to my outcome, which balanced out the stiffness of the PVC. I feel that my use of such different, contrasting fabrics made my outcome work well altogether, and gave it balance and impact. However, to improve my use of fabrics I could have used a wider range of materials. For example I could have used white net in my work, which could have added a futuristic, mesh-like quality to my work in areas.

I really like my final outcome, because I feel that I have achieved my intentions. I wanted my outcome to feel like something from the future, and I think due to the techniques, colour palette and materials I have used, that I have achieved this. I also like how some of the more simplistic parts of my outcome, like the free machine embroidery and the straight stitch areas, still have a lot of impact due to the contrast in fabrics. For example, I feel that the straight stitch areas have their impact because of my use of sheer white organza, which contrasts greatly with the more solid colour of the foiled PVC slash/twist areas.

I feel that the most successful part of my project was my ability to think outside the box with my research and designing process. When I first started this project, I had no idea that I would ever be creating a sci-fi themed outcome, and I feel that thanks to my research into certain designers such as Viktor and Rolf, Iris Van Herpen and Maya Hansen, I was better able to come up with a totally unique, out-there outcome. By looking at more extravagant, theatrical designers, I was able to open my mind and eventually latch onto an interesting concept, and I feel that this helped my project become successful.

I think that the least successful part of my project was probably the fact that I was drawn to the futuristic concept quite early on. While this helped my project to run smoothly, and helped me keep on top of my work, especially in the later points in the project, it would have been nice to explore some other concepts. If I were to do this project again, I probably would spend more time exploring different concepts and techniques. For example, the Dolce and Gabbana Byzantine inspired bralette I made was an extremely fun part of the project and I would have liked to explore the religious imagery based collection more, and maybe have made a full mini outcome from it. I feel it would have benefited me to explore some other ideas in more depth.


Throughout the course of my project, I looked at many designers. The main designers I looked at were; Issey Miyake, Gareth Pugh, Alexandra Verschueren, Chanel, Viktor and Rolf, Yu Ping Lin, Claire Fitzjohn, Stephanie McDonald Walker, Nathan Pass, Iris Van Herpen, Alexander McQueen, Emilio Pucci, Fendi, Givenchy, Dolce and Gabbana, Maya Hansen and Jean Paul Gaultier. The most influential of these designers, who's work made the most impact on my final outcome, were Viktor and Rolf, Maya Hansen and Iris Van Herpen. Viktor and Rolf's work, especially the first collection I looked at early on in the project, is often very futuristic and uses reflective, silver materials. This is one of the main inspirations for the theme of my outcome, and my eventual colour palette. I think Viktor and Rolf's work planted the seeds at the very start of the project, that grew into my final outcome with the help of additional research into other designers. Iris Van Herpen was also a huge influence throughout my project, especially during the creation of my final piece, with her slashing, twisting and folding of fabric. I found her work very inspiring. Maya Hansen was a designer I looked at later on in the project, and I feel that her work was what finally allowed me to settle on a futuristic theme for my work, with her extreme, theatrical, modern garments that I found to be extremely eye catching, and immediately inspired me.

Word Count: 992 

No comments:

Post a Comment