In order to help me generate ideas, I began to look at the
work of some highly influential designers. I looked at a lot of designers who
used various techniques to add texture and structure to their work, and I was
particularly inspired by Petra Storrs’ (http://petrastorrs.com/)
predominant use of a monochrome colour pallet, and also her use of shiny
materials such as metal and PVC. Her work led me to create my own samples using
PVC and foil, to add a reflective quality to my work which reminds me of modern,
metal architecture.
I was also greatly influenced by Iris Van Herpen’s (http://www.irisvanherpen.com/) extremely
decorative work, which incorporates techniques such as cutting and folding
fabric in different ways to create some interesting textures and patterns. It
was this observation of the work that led me to explore the technique of
slashing into foiled vinyl, and twisting the resulting strips over and
stitching them down to create a unique, ribbed appearance. I think these
samples are extremely interesting and have an almost futuristic feel,
especially when silver foil has been used.
Viktor & Rolf (http://www.viktor-rolf.com/)
have a collection that I found to be extremely eye-catching. Thin, sheer fabric
is layered up to create thick, bulky areas and is cut into in different shapes
and angles. When applied to a garment such as a dress, the technique gives it
an almost ‘impossible’ appearance, and it looks to be defying gravity itself by
keeping its shape and not collapsing. I responded to the work by using organza
in a number of ways to replicate the texture-filled nature of the collection. I
pleated and pin-tucked layers of the sheer fabric, but I particularly enjoyed
the effect that gathering it gave. I really love the fact that even a material
as light and delicate as organza, when used in certain ways, can create samples
that look extremely bold and vibrant.
Word Count: 316







No comments:
Post a Comment