I began to develop the ideas I derived from looking at other
designers into mini outcomes. Looking at the work of Nathan Pass encouraged me
to use simple shapes to create interesting samples, and I was particularly
inspired by his use of triangles, and how he layers them together to create all
sorts of unique collars and accessories. I focused on stitching squares that
had been folded into triangles in rows to create long strips. This then gave me
the idea to combine these strips together to add both structure and texture to
the sample, a concept which led to the spine accessory mini outcome I made. I
used a combination of PVC and denim in my ‘spine’, and left hanging threads in
pink, yellow and blue to give a bright and eye-catching appearance.
As the project progressed, I began to move towards a more
contour fashion based theme. I first of all started looking at 1920’s brassier
pattern, to get me used to the very constructed nature of contour garments such
as bras. After looking at Emilio Pucci’s (http://home.emiliopucci.com/) black, lace-like, floral garments, I
was inspired to create a brassier with a similar design. I trapped a piece of
black net between two pieces of PVC and free machine embroidered a black,
floral pattern before constructing the full garment.
In keeping with the contour theme I had recently explored, I
began to look at the work of Dolce & Gabbana (http://www.dolcegabbana.com/) to
inspire the design for a more complex piece. Their Byzantine collection
influenced me to create a bralette that incorporates religious imagery. I
printed out an image of a religious mosaic, similar to those found in Dolce and
Gabbana’s collection, onto iron transfer paper. I ironed the image onto a piece
of calico and used it to create the bottom half of my bralette. The cup of my
bralette was made out of net, which I stitched and beaded into, then stitched two
pleats onto the top edge, one in net and one with the leftover image transfer.
I am very pleased with how this first attempt at making a bralette turned out,
and I am very keen to use this pattern again.
Word Count: 365





No comments:
Post a Comment