Friday, 16 January 2015

Refining My Ideas

Futuristic designers have been something that I have enjoyed looking at during many points in this project, I feel that I have been drawn to the more sci-fi side of architecture-like fashion. For example, when looking at the work of Viktor & Rolf, I was immediately drawn to the more out there, futuristic collections such as the Autumn/Winter 2011/12 ready to wear collection (http://www.vogue.co.uk/fashion/autumn-winter-2011/ready-to-wear/viktor-and-rolf). This collection features a very simple colour palette, and I was particularly drawn to the silver pieces, as I felt that these had the most impact.


Whilst experimenting with the bralette pattern, I decided to look into the work of Maya Hansen (http://mayahansen.com/). Her futuristic designs inspired me to create one half of a bralette which incorporated PVC, silver lamé and white organza. I used machine embroidery in a triangle pattern on the cup which was made out of PVC and organza, to which I added an organza gather on the edge to give it an attractive finish. The bottom two pattern panels were decorated with simple straight stitch stripes on PVC and lamé. The final mini outcome has an interesting futuristic, almost sci-fi quality that doesn’t look out of place when put beside the work of Maya Hansen. I really like this sci-fi look, and I would like to explore this theme a little more as I feel it has a lot of potential to inspire my final outcome.














I feel that the prior mentioned Viktor & Rolf collection in particular has inspired me a lot, in conjunction with Maya Hansen, to go down a more theatrical, sci-fi route. For my final outcome, I think I would like to use a very simple colour palette, using only silver and white, and I will give impact to my work by picking the techniques I use very carefully. I definitely would like to create a full bralette as part of my outcome, as I feel my previous experimentation with the pattern has been hugely successful.


Word Count: 328

No comments:

Post a Comment